Tax Data

Help & Advice

Married couples and civil partners - Joint ownership

Legal ownership. This is effectively the paper title to the property and will be shown at the Land Registry. If the legal ownership of the property is in the name of both spouses, then for income tax purposes any rental income is automatically split 50:50 irrespective of the underlying beneficial ownership percentages. On sale any capital gain is split according to the beneficial ownership ratios.

Beneficial ownership. This is the right of use of the property (i.e. the right to live in it, or to let it out and receive the rental income). The beneficial ownership split can be shown at the Land Registry (but does not have to be). The taxation of rents will normally be 50:50 unless a ‘Declaration of beneficial interests in joint property income’ election, form 17, is filed with HMRC.

Form 17. This allows a married couple to say how the rental income is to be split but any split of such income must be follow the underlying beneficial ownership split. This must be lodged with HMRC within 60 days of its completion to be valid. It must be signed by both husband and wife. Evidence of the beneficial ownership split must also be supplied. Changes must be notified immediately to HMRC.

This declaration is irrelevant where the legal ownership is in the name of one spouse only or where the co-ownership of the property is by any two or more persons who are not married.